Tuesday, June 23, 2009

SAD ... AND SOME QUESTIONS

The day before leaving for Lakewood... Charlie drove Kathy up from their summer home at Mattapoisett so we could travel together. As usual, I was nowhere near ready ... and had a seminar to be at at 7:30 Friday morning among other things. As a matter of fact, I've just a few days ago found the silk blouse I wanted to wear to the Reunion luncheon.... not out of control or anything!!! While I was being crazy, Kathy looked through my COURTIER and made a list of our classmates whom we know to have died.... too young. Their names follow:

EMILY JO HERNANDEZ


CARLY JONES


JUDY LAURIE


EILEEN MADIGAN


SALLY RYAN


KAY RYAN


ANN STALLS


If anyone reading this knows of other members of our class who have died, we should know.

There are some whom we've lost track of: MIRIAM LOPEZ and GLORIA FERRER, for example. When Stu and I visited Haruko in London, Miriam was there with her son. We've not heard from her since. I've always wondered about KATHY O'NEIL who left after freshman year to enter the convent.... also MONA CABILI whose father met such a tragic death while we were juniors, causing her to have to withdraw. NORMA NACTSHEIM, MIDGE LA GUARDIA, ANNE GILGALLON, BEVERLY OLYMPIA ... were all on the list of those I wrote to about Reunion but didn't hear from. Some people don't want to be contacted and I respect that. My guess is that if they've given their address, they don't object, but wouldn't it be nice to know if those we haven't heard a word about, or seen an address for, in 40 or 50 years have had a soft landing? We were such a small group.

I received an e-mail from JOYCE ARMSTRONG CARROLL, Ph.D. from Texas. She sent me pictures of her celebration of 50 years as a teacher! She looks terrific. Five years ago, GCU awarded Joyce an honorary doctorate of humane letters. She has been a professor at McMurry University in Texas and is the suthor of many volumes for teachers. Joyce, along with another member of our class, ROSEMARIE GALLINA, who did attend Reunion, are members of GCU's Court of Honor. CONGRATULATIONS to both!



FROM JOYCE:
Maryanne,

I am so sorry to miss this wonderful reunion, one so significant for us all, but the gods have conspired against me coming. I have a book deadline looming and I cannot afford to miss it. I do want to report though that I had a full checkup and seem to be in good health -- for which I am grateful.Still consulting and have roughly 400 trainers under me. Keeps the ole brain in shape me thinks.

I am attaching several pictures from my Golden Jubilee Celebration. Imagine 50 years in the field of education. Sister Adrian would be proud!

My husband, Eddie, hosted a reception in my honor at our conference - everything was gold. It was lovely. I wore only gold the entire weekend even my nails and down to my toes!

Please send my love to all who remember me.


XXXXXXXX







Prior family committments prevented MARY TERESA FARRELL GRAY from attending but she sent along a recent family picture and a wonderful update on life chez Gray. M.T. and her husband, PROFESSOR MICHAEL A. GRAY have 4 children, 9 grandchildren and 3 great grandchildren!!! Do we have other GREAT grandchildren?

FROM MARY TERESA:

Professionally, I used my GCC Math major in many ways:


  • A Space Materials researcher at RCA Labs ...
  • An Adult Religious Ed. Coordinator in Oregon, Minnesota and Texas...
  • Ran Teacher Training workshops for a Diocese ...
  • Managed a food cooperative in Minnesota ....
  • Did taxes for H & R Block ....
  • Was a bonded Legal Guardian for a disabled woman in Texas ... and
  • Managed the 700+ volunteer program for the Office on Aging in NW Washington DC.

Now retired in Annapolis, I am part of a team of Eucharistic Ministers holding Communion services in a local nursing home. God has blessed me in many ways.
Most fun as a volunteer. As a Mother Helper in our childrens' school where I made homemade root beer with the class, and then waited for a poorly capped bottle to explodein the Teacher's closet. Surprisingly, I was invited back..
Love to all, and best of luck. God Bless. Mary Teresa


NEXT POST:
GETTING THERE

No comments:

Post a Comment