Tuesday, June 23, 2009

THE RUN-UP - Calls and Letters

Weeks passed...100 inches of dirty snow melted in Albany...and I began to think of pretty Springs we'd enjoyed at the Court. A few phone calls... then letters. MARIE ANNA HAN CHANG left a message that ANDREW had to have serious surgery and she would not be able to leave him. Sad. They had entertained us royally when my daughter and I were looking at Southern colleges. She said she'd learn to e-mail images. She hasn't...yet!

I had a notion KAY KELAHER O'BRIEN would not be joining us. Kath and she had met up in Venice, Florida this past winter and driven down to have lunch with MARYELLIN PRICE BOLLINGER in Naples. (I think I have the configuration right. At least, I have the players right!) Kath said Kay is having eye trouble. When the packet came I hoped she'd changed her mind, but alas, no... We do, however, have the gorgeous picture of a stunning Kay, who lives in Southborough, MA. Like me she is a widow.



FROM KAY:Dear Maryanne,
I am sorry I won't be able to attend our 50th College Reunion at GCU, but have been battling eye problems and recurrent eye surgery.
I shall miss not seeing the girls, and do hope we'll meet during the winter in Florida.
I've enclosed a picture of my eight jewels! My daughter, Kathleen, has two girls and two boys, my son, Bill, four boys, and my son, Chris, is not yet married. I am indeed lucky.
Best wishes for a successful and fruitful reunion.
Kay






JOSEPHINE DAVIS ASHBACK called several times. At the time of our 45th reunion, at the request of one of the sisters, I detoured to N.W. Jersey to fetch her and drive her to Lakewood. She tried to convert me to the George W. Bush side and I was on such a "boil" that I told her if she didn't cease immediately, I would make her run to Lakewood in front of my car!! When she called this year, I figured we were going to have another jaunt and a McCain-Palin lecture, so imagine my surprise to find she and CHARLIE have traded cold New Jersey for sunny Florida!




Jo never let her disability get in her way, as we'll all remember ... for those who don't know, since 1959, she achieved a PH.D. in Psychology and had a private practice in Manhattan.... I know big brawny guys who seem to have 20/20 eyes both in front and back who root for the Yankees, but will only watch them in Boston or Toronto because they're so afraid to go to N Y C!




Jo has new challenges now... I'm afraid I forget whether she has to have her hips or knees done, but add to it that she has developed Parkinson's Disease. You'll see from her letter to us which I'm copying below that none of it is going to deter her... she does not include, but did tell me, that she was going to a psychology conference and applying to be credentialed in Florida so she can start a private practice there. While awaiting that, Jo continues to counsel her NY-NJ clients by telephone!




You'll be appalled to learn I told Jo she's still the stubbornest person I've ever met ... they chose, not only a townhouse with stairs, but one with more than the usual number between 1st & 2nd floors! And Sherlock doesn't mind his manners - has tripped Jo. But my money's on her to thrive and succeed!


FROM JO:

Greetings and salutations fellow classmates of 59. Here's hoping you are all well, healthy and happy. I was sorry I could not arrange to be with you for the reunion to revisit past memories and experiences that enhanced our time at the Court. Charlie and I and Sherlock, the four footed member of our family, moved here a year ago and we love it, it is always warm and you no longer hear me complain of the cold. Although there are many retired people here, there is a cross section oF the population which is stimulating. Professionally I still work as a psychotherapist, which I hope to continue as long as my mind functions. Charlie is transitioning from his computer business to selling real estate. Socially we are hoping to participate in a Bach Choral as we both enjoy singing.


Again I am sorry we could not make the reunion, but if you are in the neighborhood we would love to have you come and visit especially during January or February when "old man winter" pokes his head ...here in the Sunshine State it's summer all year.


Let us hear from you.


Warmly,

Josephine


I made some calls to try to encourage mates to attend... PAT STEINER HUNT had to remain on the fence almost til the last minute because JOHN had surgery and complications which landed him in a rehab facility. He turned the corner and, happily, Pat was able to join us and spend one night so there will be pictures of her later ... at the reunion... none of her children, I'm afraid. I hope some of you will send along images to add to this so it can be a work in progress ... as, I hope, we continue to be! Pat has retired after years as a social worker in Catholic outreach areas. Kath spoke to her at greater length than I ... her children are doing exciting things which I'll have to flesh out IF I AM INVITED FOR THE
54TH YEAR TO VISIT KATH AT THE BEACH!


NEXT CHAPTER:

MORE 59ers CHIMED IN!















































No comments:

Post a Comment